2020 really has been the year for gin lovers! As the UK’s favourite spirit, gin is one of the most versatile alcoholic drinks that will always work well in cocktails and continues to grow in popularity.
With over 350 distilleries in the UK, many brands are experimenting with different gin flavours and combinations. At NIO we’re huge gin enthusiasts and use only the best gins for our cocktails.
Here is a list of our 4 favourite gins for premium gin-based cocktails!
1. Tanqueray Gin
Initially distilled in London in 1830 by Charles Tanqueray, Tanqueray gin is now one of the most awarded gins in the world, and for good reason! While its exact recipe is still a secret, we know that it’s made of 4 ingredients, juniper, coriander, angelica root and liquorice for a perfectly balanced blend. This classic London Dry Gin is ideal to use in many cocktails. In fact, we’re such a big fan of this gin that we use it in nearly all of our gin-based cocktails which include:
- The bittersweet Negroni which combines Tanqueray gin, Cocchi Storico Vermouth, Campari and Angostura Aromatic Bitters.
- The classic Gin Sour which mixes Tanqueray gin, organic citric acid and Toschi liquid sugar for a perfect balance.
- Our signature Gin Proved which blends Tanqueray gin, Bols Parfait Amour Liqueur, organic citric acid, Toschi liquid sugar for a unique take on a classic.
- The iconic Gimlet which is a simple mix of Tanqueray gin and Finest Call Cordial Lime for a cool, tangy flavour that can’t be beaten.
Want to explore cocktails made with Tanqueray? We've curated a fabulous 6-Box that includes 2 of our Great Taste Negronis, two signature Gin Proved drinks and our Gimlet and Gin Sour (all with top reviews from our customers)
£39.00 - FREE DELIVERY
2. Plymouth Gin
Plymouth gin is one of the most famous gins around and has a long, fascinating history behind it. It was first distilled in the Black Friars Distillery, which is now the oldest working distillery in England, in 1793. Made with a high concentration of root ingredients this gin has a very earthy flavour to it that's unlike London Dry Gin. Rich and smooth the Plymouth gin has won many awards over the years and is a popular spirit to use in cocktails such as:
- A classic Dry Gin Martini which typically includes Plymouth gin, vermouth and orange bitters. Interestingly when the Dry Martini was created in 1896 the recipe specified Plymouth gin.
- The fun pink gin cocktail combines just Plymouth gin and Angostura Bitters together to create a drink that's perfect for dinner parties.
- A sophisticated French 75 which blends Plymouth gin, champagne, lemon juice and sugar for a sweet indulgence.
- A fruity Gin and Juice that rapper Snoop Dogg even wrote a song about, simply mixes Plymouth gin and either orange, grapefruit or lime juice.
3. Hendricks Gin
Hendricks is probably the most well-known gin brand out there. If you're new to the world of gin then you can't go wrong with a bottle of Hendricks. Produced in Scotland in 1999 at the Girvan distillery, Hendricks has an unusual flavour that blends rose and cucumber along with 11 other botanicals, this gin is ultra-refreshing and the favourite of many. Some cocktails that are best to use Hendricks gin for are:
- The classic Gin and Tonic which simply uses Hendricks gin and tonic water for a refreshing cocktail that's perfect for summer.
- The delightful Cucumber Cooler mixes Hendricks gin, lime juice, cucumber, and tonic water for a wonderfully light summer cocktail.
- A Raspberry Rose Royale which is a delicious fruity cocktail that blends Hendricks gin, raspberries, sugar and is topped up with champagne.
- The Chelsea Rose is a sweet combination of Hendricks gin, elderflower liqueur, apple juice and raspberries that goes down very easily.
4. Sipsmith Gin
Bold and complex, Sipsmith is a classic gin that contains around ten botanicals with juniper as the main body with hints of oranges and lemons. Established in 2009, Sipsmith quickly became a huge success with their rich, smooth gin and helped pave the way for the current gin boom. Some cocktails that Sipsmith gin is perfect for are:
- An ice cold London Dry Gin Spritz combines Sipsmith gin, lemon juice, prosecco and sugar syrup for a fizzy and refreshing summer drink.
- The eye-catching Bramble which blends Sipsmith gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup, crème de mûre, and crushed ice.
- A warm and comforting Hot Gin and Tonic simply combines Sipsmith gin and hot tonic water and is perfect for those cold, cosy nights.
- The sweet Martinez mixes Sipsmith gin, vermouth, maraschino liqueur and bitters.
Take a look at 10 of the world's most popular classic cocktails that won't ever go out of style!Hosting a summer party? Or want to enjoy a delightfully cold cocktail in the sun? Discover 8 of the most refreshing cocktails.